Rosaline’s Whole Grain Rolls
- 3 TBS honey (raw is best)
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour (I use fresh-ground, hard red wheat)
- 6 TBS powdered milk
- 1 tsp salt (Kosher or sea salt is best)
- 3 TBS butter
- Lightly grease a large metal or ceramic bowl to use for rising the bread. Do not use plastic.
- Melt the butter.
- Mix 1 tablespoon honey with warm water. Add yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place 2 cups flour, the powdered milk, and salt in large bowl. Blend until well mixed. If using your stand mixture, turn on to speed 2 and add the remaining honey and the water/yeast mixture. Add the melted butter. (If mixing by hand, mix well.) Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead with the stand mixer for about 2 minutes or knead by hand for about 10 minutes. Adjust for temperature and altitude where you live.
- Once the dough becomes smooth and elastic, put it into a lightly greased bowl. Turn it once and cover with a light towel. Let it sit in a warm spot until it doubles in bulk. It will take about an hour.
- Punch the dough down. Separate into 8 sections. Roll each section into a ball. Place on greased cookie sheet, evenly spaced and not touching. Cover with a towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° degrees F (175° degrees C) for 20-25 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven and immediately brush with melted butter.
Read more about Alexandra and Jon in Alexandra’s Appeal!