Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
This is one of those heavenly soups that everyone just pauses as they take the first bite. It is so rich, so comforting, and so wonderful to eat.
- cookie sheet
- slow cooker
- measuring cups/spoons
- sharp knife/cutting board
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 slices bread crusts removed
- 2 medium onions finely diced
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes
- 2 ea sweet red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS olive oil extra virgin
- salt to taste Kosher or sea salt is best
- ground black pepper to to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F (180° degrees C).
- On a cookie sheet, drizzle tomatoes and peppers with olive oil. Toss to coat. Arrange and roast for 20 minutes or until skins have blistered.
- Add garlic, onion, cumin, and coriander and roast for five additional minutes.
- Let cool. Remove skins from the tomatoes and peppers and roughly chop.
- Set slow cooker to high heat. Put in the roasted vegetables and the broth. Cook for 2 hours.
- Add bread, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 50 minutes.
Here is a recipe for homemade broth: http://www.halleethehomemaker.com/2009/11/tasty-turkey-broth/
Find this and other wonderful recipes in Hallee Crockpotter and the Chamber of Sacred Ingredients!