Nick’s Sizzling Saucy Oven Skillet Steak
- 10-12" cast iron skillet
- oven mitt
- kitchen tongs
- aluminum foil
- 1 ea high-quality lean ribeye steak, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick and about 1 pound in weight (boneless or bone-in makes no difference, though I prefer the flavor of bone-in)
- 1 TBS Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1-2 tsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- Let your steaks fully reach room temperature through and through. Dry them completely with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Place the 10 to 12-inch diameter cast iron skillet in the oven. With the skillet inside, set the oven to broil, or bring to about 500° degrees F (260° degrees C).
- While waiting for the oven and skillet to reach full heat, reserve about 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl or ramekin.Mix up a generous amount of Montreal Steak seasoning mix.Brush the oil all over the steak, coating it generously on both sides and on the ends. Once fully coated, generously “rub” the steaks evenly with more Montreal Steak seasoning, covering both sides of the steak, patting it into each steak so that it sticks.
- When the oven with the skillet inside has reached broil, turn on a stove burner to High heat.Using your thickest and most reliable oven mitt or pad, very carefully remove the piping hot cast iron skillet from the oven and place it on the High heat burner.
- Use long, sturdy kitchen tongs and place your steak into the center of the hot pan. It should sizzle immediately.Cook the steak for 30 seconds on one side, then flip it over. Cook the steak for an additional 30 seconds on the other side.Turn off your burner.Immediately, and once again using your thickest and most reliable oven mitt or pad, carefully place the skillet with the seared steak in the middle back in the oven.
- Using a timer if needed:*For a perfect MEDIUM-RARE steak, broil the steak in the skillet in the center of the hot oven for exactly 2 minutes. Open the oven and quickly but carefully flip the steak onto the other side using the long, sturdy kitchen tongs. Close the oven and cook for an additional 2 minutes.**For a perfect MEDIUM steak, add just 1 minute to the cooking time for each side for a total of 3 minutes per side instead of 2 minutes.Turn off the oven and immediately, using your thickest and most reliable oven mitt or pad, quickly but carefully remove the steak from the oven.Using the tongs, remove the steak from the skillet and place it on a large cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil and let the steak rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Find this and other great recipes, along with an exciting, edge-of-your-seat suspense story, in the Song of Suspense Series: