Madeline’s Homemade Potato Chips
These homemade potato chips go perfectly with the grouper sandwich that Madeline enjoyed in Christmas Star Sapphire. They’re the ideal addition of crunchy and salty to add to the blackened heat of the fish.
- sharp knife/cutting board or mandalin
- deep fryer or deep pan
- paper towel lined plate
- slotted metal spoon
- 3 ea organic potatoes skin on
- safflower or organic canola oil
- salt to taste (Kosher or sea salt is best)
- Thinly slice the potatoes. The best way to get the thinnest, most even cut is to use a mandolin slicer or food processor. I prefer to keep the skin on mine.
- Heat your oil to 375° degrees F (190° degrees C).
- Gently slide the sliced potatoes into the hot oil, one slice at a time (or else they’ll stick together). The oil is going to immediately bubble all around the slice. Only put enough in the oil for a single layer.
- As they cooks, they're going to curl up and start to crisp. Once they curl up, try to turn them over (some don’t make it over – that’s fine) and keep cooking until they start to brown.
- Using the slotted spoon, remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt.
In the recipe, I’ve recommended organic potatoes and organic canola oil. I explain in this post on Hallee the Homemaker why potatoes and canola are on my “only organic” list.
Find this and more recipes in Christmas Star Sapphire, book 6 of the Jewel Series!