James’s French Garlic Bread
- large bowl/mixing spoons
- measuring cups/spoons
- optional stand mixer with dough attachment
- large glass bowl
- baking sheet
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 envelope)
- 10 oz warm water (120-130°degrees F)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt Kosher or sea salt is best
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 15 oz unbleached white flour (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 TBS cornmeal
- olive oil for bowl
- softened butter
- 1 clove peeled garlic
- Lightly coat a glass bowl with olive oil. Set aside.
- Fill your mixing bowl with hot water and dump it out. This will warm the bowl. Add the warm water to the bowl. Add the yeast. Let stand for 5minutes. Add salt, olive oil, and flour. Mix well. (If using a stand mixer, mix for about a minute.)
- Knead for 10 minutes. (If using a stand mixer, kneed for 3 minutes on power level 2.) The dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl turn to grease top. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size – for about an hour.
- Punch dough down and roll into a 12 x 15-inch rectangle. Roll tightly from the longest side and pinch the ends, then tuck the ends under.
- Grease baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place the rolled dough on a baking sheet. Cut small slits diagonally in the top. Cover and let rise until doubled in size – for about an hour. When it's nearly time, preheat the oven to 450° (230° C)
- Bake 450° (230° C) degrees F for 25-35 minutes. The bread is done when you tap it, and it sounds hollow.
- When it’s cool enough to handle, slice it in half the long way, opening it up like you’re going to make a sandwich. Spread with butter and place on a pan.
- Put it in the oven under the broiler. Broil until the bread toasts and browns. While it’s in the oven, peel a piece of garlic and slice one tip off.
- As soon as it comes out of the oven, rub the garlic, cut side down, against the bread. The garlic will gradually “melt.” Rub as much of as you want on the warm bread.
- Serve your very happy guests.
Find this and other amazing recipes in A Melody for James, book 1 of the Song of Suspense series.