Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1¼ cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup unbleached cake flour
- 3 TBS unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt (Kosher or sea salt is best)
- 1½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- 2 ea large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 TBS white vinegar
- 1 oz red food coloring
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3¼ cup powdered sugar (1 pound)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to either 325°F (160°C)
- Line 2 cupcake pans with liners OR grease and flour 2 cupcakes pans (to make 24 cupcakes)
- In a bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk, vinegar, and food coloring.
- In a mixing bowl, using a mixer set to medium speed, beat together the sugar and ¼ cup butter until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly mixed.
- Add one-third of the dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Add one-third of the wet ingredients and beat until smooth. Repeat, ending with the last of the wet ingredients.
- Fill each cupcake liner until 2/3 full. Bake at 325°F (160°C) 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
For the Frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on high heat until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla.
- Top each cupcake with a generous portion of frosting. If desired, top with cake crumbs or chopped pecans.
Find this and other wonderful recipes in Blizzard in the Bluegrass, book 2 in the Red Blood and Bluegrass series!