Chef Marcus’ Signature Bagels
The Viscolli Hotel's pastry chef is world-renowned for his desserts, but he makes a mean bread, too. In Jade's Match, we get introduced to his delicious bagels. A very simple recipe that will impress even the New Yorkers in your life.
- Large bowl -or- stand mixer -or – bread machine
- measuring cups/spoons
- large pot
- slotted spoon
- baking sheet
- t TBS instant yeast
- 4 cups flour (I use fresh ground hard white wheat – if you don’t have that, unbleached white flour is best)
- 2 tsp salt Kosher or sea salt is best
- 1 TBS honey
- 1.5 cups lukewarm water
for the water bath
- 2 qt water
- 2 TBS brown sugar or barley malt syrup
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- Combine all the dough ingredients and knead for 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. You can do this with a dough hook and a stand mixer, by hand, or in a bread machine (I use a bread machine).
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and place in a warm spot and let it rise until double – usually an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth, round ball. Place on a parchment lined (or greased) baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, add the ingredients for the water bath in a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Using your thumb, poke a hole in the middle of each ball then work the dough around your thumb to stretch out the hole until it’s about 2 inches in diameter. Transfer the bagels (just a few at a time) into the water bath. Cook them for 2 minutes, then turn them over and cook for 1 minute.
- Using a strainer, remove the bagels from the water and place back on the parchment lined or greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re nicely browned.
- Serve with cream cheese, lox, or your favorite toppings.
Find this and other recipes in Jade’s Match, book 7 of the Jewel Series.