- 2 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 1/2 tsp salt Kosher or sea salt is best
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBS olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 5 oz frozen spinach, chopped
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Slice the chicken breasts in half – like opening a book (so that you’ve reduced the thickness by half and not the length or width by half). Using a rolling pin or mallet, pound each half thin until about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Chop the onions and mushrooms.
- Place the thawed spinach in a towel and squeeze it dry.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F (180° degrees C)
- Beat egg.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onions and mushrooms. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, cheese and nutmeg. Stir just until heated.
- Divide the mixture between the four breasts. Starting with the short end, roll up the breasts. (If necessary, you can secure them closed with wooden toothpicks.)
- Dip each breast in the egg, then roll in breadcrumbs. Place on baking pan, seam side down. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Back at 350° degrees F (180° degrees C) for 15 minutes. Remove the foil covering and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until browned.
Find this and other incredible recipes in Courting Calla: